Welcome Social Work Today readers! The AED offers a wide variety of resources, information, education and networking opportunities to further your career. We invite you to join the AED today and become a member of this vibrant community committed to leadership in eating disorders research, education, treatment and prevention.
Join AED now using our secure online member application or Download a Membership Application (PDF)
Learn more about AED membership.
- Download a membership brochure (PDF)
- Download a Membership Application (PDF)
- Membership Benefits
- Membership Categories and Requirements
- Download a Dues Rate Table (PDF)
- How to Get Involved in AED
- AED Special Interest Groups
Please note: AED membership dues are billed on a calendar year basis, not an anniversary basis. Dues are billed each January.
Membership in the AED provides numerous opportunities for collaboration with a multidisciplinary, international group of eating disorders specialists. Additional membership benefits include:
- International Journal
of Eating Disorders
The official journal of the AED, published eight times a year by Wiley. Available in print and electronic formats.
*Reminder: It can take up to 3 months to receive your initial journal order!
- Academy for Eating Disorders
Newsletter--The AED Forum
AED’s newsletter features valuable eating disorders research and treatment information, job opportunities, and workshop and conference listings. Published quarterly.
Events & Training
- AED Conferences
Discounted registration for AED Annual Conferences and AED sponsored educational conferences and training seminars.
A bimonthly, professional newsletter available to AED members at a reduced rate. To receive your AED discount on this publication, you must alert the EDR staff that you are an AED member. Contact Gurze Books to start your subscription by calling 800-756-7533 or visit its Web site at www.bulimia.com.
Connections and Support
- AED Community
By joining the community of AED members, you have immediate access to a global, multidisciplinary network of professionals and valuable resources.
- AED Social Media
Join the discussion on AED and eating disorders news on AED's Facebook and Twitter profiles, or join AED's members-only LinkedIn group.
- AED's Email Listserv
Professional networking, referral exchange, and timely dissemination and discussion of relevant information from your desktop. Use the listserv to ask colleagues for information and advice; give information of general interest to listserv participants (e.g., commenting on a general issue, informing participants of an upcoming conference that may be of interest to all members, etc,); or reply in person to requests for help. Enroll online by clicking on the Member Log-in link at the top of this page (your member log-in and password have been e-mailed to you). If you encounter problems with the listserv, contact the AED office at +1-847-498-4274; E-mail: email@example.com.
- AED Special Interest Groups (SIGs)
AED's Special Interest Groups allow individuals with shared interests to discuss and collaborate on specific issues within the eating disorder field. Join as many SIG online discussions as you like by clicking on the Member Log-in link at the top of this page (your member log-in and password have been e-mailed to you).
- AED Committees and Task Forces
All AED members are eligible to participate in AED leadership roles. Lend your skills or learn new ones while helping contribute to and guide AED’s support for members and the field. View AED's Organizational Chart.
- Mentor/Mentee Program
The AED is now actively facilitating mentoring relationships for members as part of its Membership Recruitment and Retention Initiative. At ICED, interested AED members will be paired with seasoned AED members at a “meet and greet” type social event. The aim of this event is to provide an opportunity for members to receive short-term (and potentially lasting) mentorship from experienced AED members/leaders. Mentors may also benefit from interaction with up-and-coming professionals by networking and facilitating optimal training and retention of promising professionals who will be the future of the AED. Prospective mentees and mentors will be paired based on interests (for example, research, clinical, advocacy, genetics and epidemiology). Sign up to become a mentor or mentee during the general ICED registration process.
Mentee Eligibility: All AED members!
• All Past Presidents of AED
• Board Members (past & present)
• Committee Chairs, SIG Chairs and Members
• Seasoned Professionals: with an advanced degree and five or more years of experience in the eating disorders field
• All disciplines welcomed!
- Regular Members
- Introductory Members
- New Professional Members
- Student Members
- Lifetime Members
- Hold an advanced degree, meeting the degree requirements in their field
- Are trained and have experience in the field of eating disorders
- Are individual, professional or lay people interested in the field of eating disorders
- Are involved in public or professional activities related to eating disorders organizations or the field of eating disorders
- One year reduced rate to new members of AED
- Those returning to AED after a hiatus of five years or longer.
- Includes Journal Subscription
- The New Professionals category is designed to keep members who move from student membership to regular membership as a "career ladder" approach to membership.
- Must have been an AED student member within the last two years.
- Allows members to get a discount for two years.
- May utilize the Introductory Rate discount for one year OR the New Professional Rate for two years, not both.
- Includes Journal Subscription
- This category is only for members who are currently in a degree granting academic or a formalized training program (this includes, but is not limited to undergraduate/tertiary and graduate educations, postsecondary education, fellowships, internships, residencies and medical registrars).
- Members who have achieved the terminal degree in their field and are not in a formalized training program recognized in their field are not eligible for student status (this includes members who are studying for licensure in their field or working toward additional certification that is not part of a degree-granting requirement).
- The Academy reserves the right to make final determination on eligibility for this status.
- This member type does not receive a listing in the membership directory.
Lifetime membership will be considered for current AED members who meet the following criteria:
- The member is no longer gainfully employed (no paid employment) and
- The member’s minimum age is 65 and
- Belonged to the Academy for the last 10 years or who are Founding or Charter members
- Members may be nominated by the Membership Committee or by a Board member; membership subject to Board approval
- Member has the option to subscribe to the IJED for an additional cost